Many volunteers are understandably anxious about being inside a school classroom, especially if they’ve never taught before or worked with young children. To help you get over first-time “jitters,” RESET has developed a number of best practices and resources geared to supporting you every step of the way.
- Your first step will be to contact RESET at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-250-0126. Someone from RESET will follow up with you shortly and schedule a meeting at a place convenient to your home, workplace or school. At that meeting we will give you an overview of RESET and the volunteer role, and provide an orientation kit that includes our Program Brochure the Volunteer Handbook, Volunteer Guidelines, Assessment Forms, copies of the most recent RESET Newsletter and Annual Report, and an Orientation Program Checklist.
- The next step will be to learn more about the program and prepare for your classroom experience. We have a number of resources to help you:
- Self-directed training—At your own pace you review the RESET Volunteer Handbook and the Video entitled The Volunteer Experience — at the bottom of this page.
- Volunteer Training Sessions—We offer two of these each school term.
- Site Visits—We are happy to give you the opportunity to sit in on a RESET session where you can observe one of our veteran volunteers in the classroom.
- RESET Sample Experiments—These text descriptions and videos provide examples of exercises and experiments that RESET volunteers have used in the classroom. See Sample Experiments and RESET’s YouTube site.
- Skills Assessment and Enhancement—RESET has a consultant on staff who has experience in teaching education students how to present hands-on science in the classroom. Professor Sherri Kohr participates in our volunteer training sessions and makes several presentations on topics relevant to improving classroom techniques. She is also available to sit in on one of your sessions to provide valuable feedback on your classroom skills and presentation.
- Consider your options. We have several options for volunteering, depending on your preference. Learn more ».
- Once you have expressed your preference for the locale of the school in which you would like to work, we will match you with a school, a grade level, and a teacher. RESET will schedule an initial meeting with your teacher where you will introduce yourself and explain your area of expertise. Your teacher will describe her or his class and science or math programs. We encourage volunteers to bring and share some of the topics you’d like to pursue with students, but to defer detailed session planning and purchase of classroom equipment and supplies until after you get your teacher’s input. In addition to you, a RESET representative will attend this meeting, and the Principal of the school may also be present.
If you want more information about volunteering, contact: email@example.com or 703-250-0236.
If you’re ready to sign up now, go to our Volunteer Signup Form.