For Current Volunteers
Your Responsibilities as a ReSET Volunteer Include the Following:
• Contact. Establish email and/or phone contact with your assigned teacher right away.
• Session Outline. Present the teacher with an outline of the science or math activities you plan to conduct during your six meetings.
• Vocabulary List. Provide the teacher with a vocabulary list prior to your class presentations.
• Experiments. Prepare experiments that relate to the work you are now doing or have done.
• Engage the Students. Endeavor to be interesting and to capture the students’ attention and curiosity.
• Talk about Careers. Encourage children to consider a career in science, technology, and engineering by talking about what real professionals do and what kinds of jobs are available.
• Short Survey. You will be provided with two student assessment forms – the pre-program assessment you will administer to the students at the beginning of your first class and the post-program assessment that you will administer to the students at the conclusion of your last session. This survey measures student attitudes and growth as they relate to the work they’ve done with you. We need this information to demonstrate program success. They will take 5 to 7 minutes for the students to complete. You should mail or hand off these surveys to the Volunteer Coordinator at the end of each term.
What if . . .?
• The teacher leaves the classroom?
Teachers are required to stay in the classroom with the children during the entire ReSET session. The best thing to do in this circumstance is to speak with the teacher first. If it happens a second time, please report the matter to ReSET’s Volunteer Coordinator so that she may address the issue with the teacher directly.
• I show up and my class has been cancelled?
Teachers are responsible for informing you of any schedule changes or absences. This is why establishing email or phone contact is very important before you begin your six-week session. Again, this issue should be addressed first with the teacher, then reported to ReSET’s Volunteer Coordinator if it occurs again.
If you have any questions, please email our Volunteer Coordinator, Roberta Goren, at email@example.com
or John Meagher, ReSET Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org,
Here is the link to the Volunteer Handbook.