Before You Start
- You and your volunteer will exchange phone numbers and email addresses. Please indicate your preferred method and/or time of contact.
- You and your volunteer will select a mutually agreeable day of the week and time of day for your volunteer’s visits.
- Your volunteer will bring his or her own supplies and equipment, as well as any preparatory materials, such as vocabulary lists or questions. Your volunteer may ask you to Xerox some items that he or she would like to use as handouts.
Remember: RESET volunteers are not there to teach your science and math curriculum, although many of their exercises and experiments strongly support your curriculum goals. Volunteers are there to enhance your science and math teaching.
If You Will Be Absent
- If your class is not going to be at the school on the day your RESET volunteer is scheduled to visit, you must notify the volunteer at least two days in advance of his or her scheduled class.
- If you will be absent for a particular class, please inform the RESET volunteer and reschedule the volunteer’s visit. We prefer that volunteers work with their assigned teachers, not with substitute teachers.
- You are responsible for maintaining discipline inside your classroom. Our volunteers cannot have productive and positive experiences with your class if students are unruly and inattentive.
- You MUST be in the classroom at all times.
- We hope you will participate in the class along with your students, as this enhances their learning experience. Students will follow your lead, so your active and enthusiastic participation sets the tone for the class.
If Your Volunteer Needs to Cancel
- If your assigned volunteer is not able to make a scheduled classroom visit, you will be notified. Please let your volunteer know HOW you would like to be contacted. If you don’t want to be called, please let the volunteer know. If you rarely check your email, then let your volunteer know you would appreciate a phone call instead. Volunteers don’t want to spend a lot of time trying to reach you.
If you have any questions, please call our Volunteer Coordinator, Roberta Goren, at 202-543-6753.